Thursday, May 29, 2008

Remodel: A dang good reason for suicide

Some background: Our home was build in the 1950's. It has it's charm and it's character and well, it's flaws (which I'm sure would be debatable if we pressed rewind to the 1960's). Most of all, it's got lot's of potential that we are just about to crack into :) Of course, not very easily dealing with plaster walls. So, we begin the remodel - Kitchen, basement (bye bye pine walls!), bathroom, outside (landscaping, fencing, roofing). Some of the outside will be moved to next spring and John and I have already made some major improvements in the landscaping department. Mainly, we're getting the house ready to sell in the next year or two. So, anyway, here are pictures to begin our journey... The demo:
Kitchen:
Ripping out cabinets

Some soffit we took down to open the room and it left a huge hole in the ceiling...Curse the many contractors who said it would just pop off! Notice the dust!!

Patching things up

We let the kids go crazy with permanent markers on the Counters. That was fun!!

The basement:
Taking down the pine walls - that's a lot of wood!


We're doing most of this ourselves, so it's going to be a slow, but fun process... I'll keep you all updated on the progress.

6 comments:

Heather said...

uuggghhh I am worn out just looking at those pictures. What a lot of work!! I am excited to see all the progress with it all!!

So moving eh??? Where to?? If you say CA I am going to be doing cartwheels and I will come out to help you pack!! ;)(tempting to change your plans now right?)

Good luck with the remodel. I love that the kids got to decorate the counter top. You could probably sell that peice of artwork on eBay to help pay for your remodel!! I bet it would sell!!

The Harrises said...

Good luck with the remodel. It's tough living amongst a mess. How's the dog fairing?

Tanya said...

No need for the suicide.

Combs - A day in the Life of... said...

Wow, you go girl! I can't imagine living through a remodel. Atleast I don't live in mine. I am so glad to hear that you get to be home with your kids. Justin told me a while ago and I can't even tell you how happy I am for you. I bet you just love and soak in every minute. Congrats.

The Fraser's said...

do you get to wear a hard hat and goggles? love it! enjoy summer in UT

J said...

Ah, the joys of homeownership! It looks like the kids weren't the only ones that colored the counter ;) You are such a fun mom! What lucky kids to get you full time now!!